Get Schooled: Breakfast 101Read more
6 Simple Toast-Topping Ideas
The best thing since sliced bread? Warm, slightly crunchy toast washed down with a tall, cold glass of milk. As the temperatures drop, think outside the square (of bread) and start your morning with a clever, creative spin on this breakfast staple.
Top your favorite toast with delicious morsels; here are our favorites this season:
1. South of the Border: Add two scrambled eggs, shredded cheddar cheese and a dollop of salsa to your piece of toast.
2. Banana Split: Spread Nutella onto toast; top with sliced banana and a drop of ground nutmeg.
3. Cheese Melt: Top toast with a fried egg (or scrambled), tomato slices and a slice of cheese. Place under the broiler until the cheese gets gooey.
4. Trail Mix: Spread peanut butter, and layer it with dried raisins, cranberries and shredded coconut.
5. Modern Cinnamon Style: Top toast with lowfat cream cheese, sliced apples and cinnamon.
6. DIY topping bar: The sky (or rather, your pantry or fridge) is the limit – let the kids go crazy as they create toast that’s topped to the brim with customized goodness! Go savory with a combo of hummus and cucumber slices or sweet with ricotta cheese and strawberries.
Got a different toast topper that your family loves? Share it with us on Facebook!