The most important meal of the day just got even better with this epic Rompope French Toast.
Makes 12 slices
3 egg yolks
2 cups milk
1 cup cream
½ cup rum
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 ½ cup cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
12 slices brioche
1 stick butter
Optional Ingredients for Toppings:
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and yolks.
2. In a medium saucepan, heat the milk, cream, granulated sugar, vanilla, dash of cinnamon, and salt over medium heat, whisking occasionally, until the mixture is warm to the touch and the sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Remove the mixture from the heat, and whisking constantly, pour about one quarter of it into the egg mixture.
3. Pour through a strainer, removing any clumps. Use immediately, or chill the custard for up to 2 days until ready to use.
4. In a large heavy skillet, heat 1 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat until it is melted but not burnt. Take your brioche slices and dip them into the custard, flipping to soak on both side for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, if you want them a bit soggier you can leave in for 2 min on each side.
5. Cook for 3 minutes on each side until they are evenly brown on both sides. Transfer the French toast to a baking sheet and keep it warm in the oven at 200° F if you want or eat right away. Repeat with the remaining butter and bread slices.
500 calories; 28 g fat; 16 g saturated fat; 215 mg cholesterol; 8 g protein; 45 g carbohydrates; 8 g fiber; 500 mg sodium; 283 mg calcium. Nutrition figures based on using lowfat milk and do not include optional ingredients.